Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Pray without Ceasing

At many points in my life I have heard Paul's phrase, "pray without ceasing," and I begin to worry. Can I really pray without ceasing? Do my hands have to be folded together all the time? How in the world will I see where I am going with my eyes closed in deep meditative prayer all the time?

Today I had a conversation with my spiritual director about prayer. I sat down and she asked her usual question, what's been going on? I shared with her that yesterday I created two paintings. As I prepared to paint with Japanese Ink, I made a cup of tea and lit a candle. I told her I have been lighting candles daily this Lenten season. I walk into a room, grab a lighter, and ignite a wick. The light has offered me nuggets of calm and peace in my day. And when I see the flame dance on the wick, I have small moments of delight. She suggested that the light of the candle is an extension of the light, spirit living within me.

As I continued to share with her about my prayer life I lamented that I am not praying as often as I hoped in this time of lent. She paused and said, "what about those candles you have been lighting or those painting you made? Those are expressions of the presence of God deep within you." I realized that although intentional moments of prayer are needed (weekend retreats, prayer with other people, etc) the acts of my life are indeed acts of prayer and I am already doing it!

Indeed, spirit, life, God's presence is already deep in our daily actions. Perhaps, praying without ceasing means something a bit different than I had originally thought...

3 comments:

Studio Dyess said...

Jenn, I didn't know you had an interest in painting.At times when I am creating I feel the presence of God. My talent is a gift from God. I don't pray much with words but with my eyes and hands.

Studio Dyess said...

Jenn, I forgot to sign the previous blog,it was from John

Pastor Jenn said...

John, thanks for your post. It is neat to discover more about what art means for you and learn more about your prayer life.

I find painting to be a wonderful way to pray. I agree, if I open myself to God's presence, I always find it in most all creative adventures.