Monday, November 3, 2008

Election Eve

On election eve I find myself quite anxious.  Some of my anxiety stems from my concern over who will be our next president, but a vast majority of my concern stems from my ponderings about how we as a national community will respond to the vote.  We face some huge challenges and we need a way forward.  Somehow we must come together and meet the challenges together.  Will we unite and progress together whatever the outcome may be?  

Last week I finished the book The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.  I found many insights and challenges for life in this tale.  But, one stands out thinking about Wednesday morning. One of the characters August, says, life is more than loving folks, life is about persisting in love.  On Wednesday and each morning after, we will have opportunity after opportunity to persist in love. This persistence just may be a way for us to face the challenges present in our midst and the challenges that await us.    

It may mean that I have to love my neighbor who voted for ______________.  But, loving that neighbor and working together for our schools, our healthcare, our economy, just may be the only way.  

No comments: